Nam June Paik Pt 9 - TV Buddha
Paik's possibly most famous video work was produced as a gap-filler for an empty wall in his fourth show in the Galeria Bonino, New York. Shortly before the opening, he hit upon the idea of making a TV viewer out of an antique Buddha statue once purchased as an investment. The subsequent addition of a video camera meant the Buddha now watched his videotaped image on the screen opposite – past and present gaze upon each other in an encounter between Oriental deity and Western media.
During the 'Projekt '74' exhibition in Cologne, Paik took the Buddha’s place in his recent creation, suggesting the implicit antithesis between transcendentalism and technology was equally present in his own personality.
- ► 2010 (34)
- ► December (19)
- Fluxus RECAP
- Nam June Paik Pt 9 - TV Buddha
- Nam June Paik pt 8-Electronic Moon #2
- Nam June Paik Pt 7 - Video Garden 1974
- Nam June Paik Pt 6-Something Pacific 1986
- Nam June Paik Pt 5- Global Groove 1974
- Nam June Paik Pt 4 - Quotes by NJP
- Nam June Paik Pt 3-Media Planning for the Postindu...
- Nam June Paik Pt 2- Charlotte Moorman and Nam June...
- Nam June Paik Pt 1-TV BRA FOR LIVING SCULPTURE & T...
- Getting to Know....Nam June Paik
- ▼ Nov 03 (11)